Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Tips for Artists and Crafters - Selling at Art Shows - Is Your Art Right for the Region or Locale?

Since my art is primarily ocean and beach themed, my market here in Central Texas is somewhat limited. Actually, when I first started selling my work, I wondered if it would sell at all, and was pleasantly surprised to find that it sells as well as it does. But, it is a niche market, and so I don't do as well as artists who's works have local interest. I did some market research and learned that local scenes are the number one best selling painting subject. So, I started matting and framing some of my photos of local scenes printed on Polaroid film and hand colored with watercolors. In addition, I started painting bluebonnets and other wildflowers. I have found that both sell quite well, and they have expanded my market considerably. Try making a portion of what you are selling have local interest, not only does it appeal to people living in the area, but also tourists looking for souvenirs to take home.

Next: Do You Know Your Demographic?

No comments:

Post a Comment